Chore Lists and Schedules for Non-Readers

I don’t know about you but some days I feel like all I do is repeat myself all day, over and over and over. My kids might be able to remember one or two things but if I ever ask them to do anything beyond that the latter items will definitely be forgotten before the first one is even halfway finished.

I am a firm believer in chores at a very young age. No one is exempt from cleaning and helping out around the house. At a very young age (as young as 1) you are expected to help take recycles from the kitchen to the garage and help sort, pull clothes out of the washer and move them to the dryer, help feed pets, and clean up toys at the end of the day.


My laundry helpers back when they were
3 years and 11 months.

This isn’t all firm and strategic by any means, usually the little ones are more than happy to "help" as it feels more like being included in big kid things than work to them. There are of course times that they aren’t in the mood and when that happens they are not forced to help. But most of the times I say it’s time to do our chores and everyone is so used to it that there’s rarely any issues. (I know that’ll come later, though!)

For years I have been so excited for when my oldest could read and I could give him a list! I thought this would make the chores happen more easily and quickly, but as my Pre-K child is still struggling with grasping the concept of reading we have come up with other solutions along the way and I thought I’d share a few with you!

SCHEDULES

When my eldest was really little we adapted a visual schedule to help him know what was happening next and what was expected of him each day. This worked great! We still revert to it every so often when we have busy schedules or when I just get so darn tired of the question, “So what are we doing today?!” As my 2nd is getting old enough to care a little bit about such things we will probably go back to using it full time again soon.





Once he completes something from the schedule he removes the clothes pin and drops it in a nearby basket. Then he knows what's next on the agenda.

To make this I literally took a piece of cardboard and glued colored sheets on it to show the different times of the day. We made it together, tearing and gluing until it looked halfway decent. Nothing special, but my then 2 year old was pretty darn proud!






I made the entire project from things I already had around the house. The most expensive item I used were all the clothes pins! I searched online for clip art I liked or drew a few things myself and colored them in. I also printed pictures of some of our favorite people (grandparents, aunts, uncles, and friends) and put their faces on pins for when they come to visit or we plan to meet up for a play date.


NUMBERS AND MATCHING

As my eldest grew a little more we started adding to his list of chores. On our schedule we would have chores like making his bed, cleaning his toys, or brushing his teeth, but nothing too extensive. But as he got older I started to let him put silverware away from the dishwasher (I removed the knives first, of course) and he loved feeling like he was a part of something big and important! Even now when he does it my 2nd child usually watches over his shoulder or from a step stool! He’s already anxious to help.

And then as he began to be able to recognize numbers and shapes I started letting him help in the laundry room. I once saw a meme that showed a picture of an iPad and a washing machine. It said, “If they can run this <iPad>, they can run this <washing machine>.” I definitely agree with this concept! I used Post It Notes to put numbers along the side of the options on my washing machine and when I went to run a load I would tell him what number each line needed to be on and let him hit start. I taught him the importance of not playing in the washing machine, to check for pets and toys inside the washing machine before starting it, and let him start the load.


What my washer looked like when my oldest was 3
 and still learning his numbers.

As he has grown we have added to the options and made the numbers a little more complicated. I also don’t feel the need to hover as he gets it all set up. I simply tell him which numbers need to be selected and let him start it. (I usually run and check as soon as he’s done but he doesn’t know that and feels very independent in the process.)


What our washer looks like today.




This has been helpful, too because he has learned
what "start" and "power" buttons look like as well. 


LISTS 

More recently, as we are getting closer and closer to reading and our chore list has grown even more, we have started a new method of keeping track of what needs done.

Each morning I get up and grab a post it note. I check the pets' food, think about the agenda for the day, and I write out a few important things on the sheet. I draw a rough drawing and write a simple phrase (the same one each time for consistency) and stick it on the side of the counter where he’ll see it during breakfast. He loves checking the box each time he completes an item and knows he can get them done right away or wait until I ask, but they must be done that day. The ones above the line are morning chores, the ones below are evening chores that we do after dinner.








Sometimes little brother wants a sheet, too, even though he still doesn’t completely understand. Checking boxes is always fun, though!

At this point our list of chores for our 5 year old has grown to:

⇢ Making bed daily along with getting dressed and brushing teeth.


⇢ Helping with dishes (silverware, pots, cutting boards, anything non-breakable or low enough for him to reach and put away).

⇢ Running the laundry (starting a load and moving the load from the washer to the dryer).

⇢ Putting away some laundry (I have him help me sort socks as well as put his socks, underwear, and pajamas away).

⇢ Taking out the recycles and sorting them (#1 and #2 plastics in one tub, #5 in another, cardboard, glass, and everything else has a designated spot; he loves directing little brother with this chore!).

⇢ Cleaning bedroom and living room at the end of the day; ensuring all toys are put away.

⇢ Filling up dog and cat food bowls.

⇢ Put cans away when we get groceries.

⇢ Set the table before meals and help clean up after.


These are all chores that are expected to be done when asked (not necessarily every day) and there’s no compensation for it, though often rewards when done with an exceptionally good attitude.

There are other chores that I will occasionally ask him if he wants to do (vacuum stairs, help me clean bathroom/toilet, rake leaves, sweep, dust, etc…) and if he does I usually give him some change or a dollar bill for it because that is what I call “above and beyond”. He knows that he lives in this house, he uses the dishes, he eats the food, he dirties clothes(!), and so he must help to keep the house running smoothly. But there are times I ask for more and he can either say, “no thank you” or take the opportunity to make a little money.

When we go to the store and buy toys with the money he has saved up I remind him that he has this money because he chose to work for it and had a good attitude. Usually we get home and he immediately asks what else he can do to make more money!

So those are just a few of the things that have worked well for us. What have you found works for you? I’d love to hear your ideas and how you keep your kids involved in running the house smoothly!

Happy Cleaning!

Comments

Popular Posts